What is an Internship?
An internship is a valuable, on-site work experience directly related to your career interests and major field of study. It allows you learn about the demands and requirements of a profession and industry under the direction of intentional learning goals. An internship can be paid, un-paid, or taken for academic credit, and can take place during the academic semester or in the summer.
Why Should I Intern?
- Gain practical experience and develop marketable job skills in your chosen career field
- Clarify your personal career goals and work-place preferences
- Interact with qualified and experienced professionals in your field
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Make important contacts in the professional world that may lead to future job offers
Internship Listings and Resources:
SF State Student Resources
Employers post their internships and jobs using Handshake , available exclusively for SF State students and recent alumni. For additional links, please see the Resources by Major page.
General Internship Search
International Internship Search
Intern Housing Resources
Disability Internship Resources
Internship for Academic Credit:
What is an Academic Internship?
Academic internships earn academic credit while career internships do not earn academic credit. Internships which are taken for academic credit require tuition payment in the same way as any course. There is no charge for internships not taken for academic credit. Hoping to receive academic credit for an internship? Visit the Institute for Civic and Community Engagement website to learn more.
On-Campus Student Employment or Jobs:
Securing an on-campus job is a great way to build work experience while attending school. In addition to the convenience and experience you will gain, on-campus roles can help you financially and professionally. There are multiple employment opportunities available for SF State students all over campus. All student employment positions are at will positions.
To learn more, click here
Federal Work Study: Federal-work study is a federally funded financial aid program. It increases available part-time employment for students who need financial assistance while giving them the opportunity to gain practical work experience. Those who wish to work in the work-study program must be approved by the Financial Aid Office prior to being hired. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Student Assistants: This on-campus work program offers students the chance to explore and develop career related skills and gain professional experience. Anyone who is registered as a student at SF State and is in good academic standing may be eligible to work as a Student Assistant.
Instructional Student Assistants / Graduate Assistants / Teaching Associates: Instructional Student Assistants (ISA), Graduate Assistants (GA), and Teaching Associates (TA) assist professors with research, teaching, facilitating group discussions, grading papers, and tutoring.
International Students: It is possible for international students who are visiting on an F-1 or J-1 visa to work on-campus. International students can work no more than 20 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week during the winter/spring break and summer. To apply for an on-campus job international students should go through the regular hiring process.
Where to Find On-Campus Student Employment or Job Opportunities:
HANDSHAKE - Filter by "On-Campus Student Employment" under Job Type to find opportunities
- Associated Students - Variety of positions available
- Campus Recreation - Variety of positions available
- J. Paul Leonard Library - Variety of positions available
- New Student Orientation Leaders - Lead summer orientations for new students
- Resident Advisors - Develop residential communities for on-campus students
- Peer Tutoring - Tutor or mentor your peers both in and outside of the classroom
- Writing Center - Help students on a variety of writing assignments
Current Internships and Full-Time Positions:
- Southern Glazers Wine & Spirits- Internship & Full-time Positions
- BlueShield - 10-week Summer Internship
- Enterprise Holdings - Management Trainee positions & Internship Program
- Amazon - Positions are added and filled frequently, check back regularly for updates
- 7-Eleven - hiring 20,000 employees for 70,000 locations across the U.S.
- Ace Hardware - hiring at various store locations; contact local store directly if you do not see any openings
- Amazon - hourly warehouse, driver or shopper jobs…text AMAZON to 77088 for job alerts
- Candor - find companies that are freezing hiring and still hiring
- Cintas - Management Trainee (2 openings and a couple spots left in the SSF region starting this summer)
- CVS Health - 50,000 full-time and part-time positions across the country
- Domino's - open and hiring at various locations
- Handshake - Article with updated list of 500 Companies Hiring Students on Handshake Right Now
- PepsiCo - hiring 6,000 FT workers across the U.S.
- Pizza Hut - various positions throughout the SF region
- Safeway - various positions at Safeway stores such as home delivery, retail, and other positions
- Save Mart - store level and warehouse positions at various locations
- The Muse - find companies that are still hiring
- Upkey - offering 1,000 Summer 2020 Internships
- Walgreens - temporary customer service associate roles nationwide
Remote Job Boards/ Resources:
- AngelList - find the best remote work opportunities updated every day
- Buffer - The 2020 State of Remote Work
- CareerSidekick - The 18 Best Remote Job Boards in 2020
- Covintern - Collection of remote internships postings from startups and companies, created by a student at Indiana University
- Flexjobs - 20 Fully Remote Companies That Thrive on Virtual Work, Hiring Now
- Getting Hired Remotely - Handshake articles with guidance on job searching and working remotely
- Handshake - search for jobs that have the word “remote” in the title (Update your profile to indicate that you are willing to work remotely so that employers can find you.(The 3 Must-Haves on Your Handshake Profile)
- LinkedIn - select REMOTE in the location field when conducting a job search
- Outschool - fill the increased demand for online learning by becoming a virtual teacher
- Remote.co - Find remote jobs and companies and tips on managing working remotely
- Skillcrush - The 25+ Best Sites for Finding Remote Work Online in 2020
- Standuply - 330 Tools for Remote Work
- Take Lessons - get paid to provide online lessons in such subjects as foreign language, musical instruments, or singing
- Tutor.com - offers one-to one learning solutions from homework help and tutoring
- Virtual Internships - explore opportunities with 200 companies that provide tasks to help students build skills
- Workplaceless - Five Best Places to Find Remote Jobs
- Workplaceless - Remote Work Dictionary
- Zippia - Guide to Finding Remote and Work-From-Home Jobs
- GulfTalent - Job site for finding work opportunities in the Middle East.